Thursday, September 23, 2004

Never Enough Cantankerous Elections Department

A wonderful reason to vote is given by Marylaine Block: "sheer orneriness". She says it's a bad reason to vote, but for my money, orneriness works better than anything else. Of course, she brings up Nader, who I wish would just get a grip rather than trying to wrest progressive votes from the Democrats. Not that I think "third parties" are bad, but that we need to overhaul the whole election system to insure equitable elections if we're going to get serious about them, otherwise only billionaires like Ross Perot will be able to run. That's for a whole different injection of obstinance.

But in general, the fact that many would rather we not vote is reason enough to vote. On that point, I agree with all my uppity heart.


No comments: