Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Never Enough Hitchhikers Department

What can I say? I was pleasantly surprised that Disney somehow did not ruin "The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy." In fact, the movie was both gorgeous--a great production budget helps--and very true to the original book. They even added a few homages to the BBC series, via the soundtrack and a guest appearance by the original Marvin the Paranoid Android. And Zaphod? I was wondering how they'd manage the third-arm-and-second-head bit. It looked hokey in the BBC series, but in the movie? WHOA. If I had to have a second head, I'd probably do it Zaphod's way, even if it meant tickling my nipples every time I ducked Head Two down.

But what Arthur and Trillian getting romantically involved?!? What the hell?!?

I mean, I understand having to leave some details out, such as teaching the computer on the Heart Of Gold how to make tea, or the same computer singing "You Never Walk Alone"--but of all the things to add...! It's as if Hollywood cannot make a movie without an obligatory love story. They'd turn Hitler's final days in the bunker into a romance, I swear.

That said, the movie was funny as hell, even for those of us who practically have the novel memorized and therefore knew most of the gags by heart. And, more importantly, the fans are pretty funny as well. Before the movie started, Wayne Brady was featured in a Will Rogers Institute spot on exercise and eating right. As that ended, one of the audience members quipped, "Now buy more popcorn."

Yep.

No comments: