Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Spiked Spiked Heels--Pt. 1, The Planning

I like the idea of putting spikes on a pair of spiked heels. I dislike
most of the attempts to do so to date, which in my mind really overdo
it with the spikes. Plus, I'm a woman with large feet and a small
budget who refuses to wear a pair of heels that cause her feet to hurt
within minutes of putting them on. DIY it is, then!

First, to find a pair of heels that meet all my requirements: They
have to be comfortable, stylish, understated, inexpensive, and a
little wider than my normal shoe size. That seems like a tall order,
but I found a pair that work.

They need to be a little wider than normal because, rather than gluing
easily broken plastic spikes onto the shoe, I'm going old school and
using nickel screwback spikes. Then to protect my feet and stockings
from the screwbacks, I'll apply a layer of moleskin. Any slack in the
shoe should be taken up this way. Also, the moleskin should help keep
my feet in the shoes, as heels tend to slip off unless there's some
sort of strap or lacing.

On the vamp I plan on applying spikes in an elongated hexagonal
pattern, reminiscent of a jewel, with three longer spikes in the
middle surrounded by shorter spikes. I've taken pics of the design I
have in mind, taken while experimenting with designs. (I'm considering
a second version of this shoe, only with the spikes forming an
inverted pentagram, but that will come later.)

As these shoes have a seam along the heel, I plan on adding spikes to
run along the seam--two short spikes at the top and bottom, and two or
three long spikes in-between.

For now I'll probably wear these with my spiked boot chains--as my
burlesque bra and bustle will also have spikes and chains, it should
give a nice unified look that way. Eventually, though, I may get
spiked spats to wear over the shoes.

I may wind up using red spray-on tool grip--which is a liquid rubber
compound that dries to a durable coating--to add features, such as
coloring the stiletto heel and possibly adding some color to the toe.
I'm undecided on that route--but if I go that route, I will probably
eschew the spats. If I go with the spats, though, I could have them in
red for when I'm going with the red version of the outfit, and have
black spats for when I'm dressing in black. Decisions, decisions!

At any rate, I'm eager to hear your comments and suggestions!

No comments: